Monday, April 10, 2006

Poor Velvet...

Velvet at foster home temporarily

I have a headache. And a very bad one.

Velvet was discharged from the vet this evening. I received FOUR shocks in less than 30 mins. Shock No. 1 - the vet did a second suture on Velvet's prolapsed rectum! Apparently, the condition did not stabilise and the vet did what they think was in Velvet's best interest, without notifying me - a second suture. Shock No. 2 - because of the second procedure, the bill escalated to a huge sum. I was horrified! Shock No. 3 - Velvet has to return to the vet for removal of the stitches in 3-5 days' time.

I told the recep that they should at least have the courtesy to inform me in view that the surgery was not performed under an emergency situation, so I could be mentally prepared for these events. Or at least, inform me right after the surgery. On that account (after some grumbling), the vet gave me some discount - but still, it's close to $500. Whoa. However at the end of the day, what matters is Velvet's welfare and health.

Shock No. 4 - the vet said Velvet is not suitable for a stray's life anymore after this rectal prolapse case. This is because the muscles around his anus/rectum are now extremely fragile and weak and is likely to relapse once he strains in a diarrhoea or constipation. The rectum could be extruded as far as 8-10 cm in length. I was stunned. Totally stunned. I hadn't expected news of such. What was I to do with poor little Velvet? The vet commented that it may be more humane to euthanise Velvet if he cannot be a home pet (rather than to let him suffer out there when he gets a relapse and no help is rendered in time). I swear I honestly and sincerely am unable to keep him (as much as I want to). My family will go berserk if I do. They have already been very tolerant when I decided to adopt Cookie when she was very ill and frail at 2.5 months old. I have two dogs, one very noisy and one very active. A third pet is IMPOSSIBLE.

Velvet is now being temporarily fostered with a very good foster mummy but only for two weeks. Foster mummy's hands are full too. I understand her predicament.

As if things were not bad enough. I found a young kitten down my block on my way home but the tabby kitten (I named her Twinkle) disappeared under some cars or drains in a flash - I'll have to look for her tomorrow to make sure she's ok.

I think I'm going mad.

Can somebody tell me what I should do??? I want Velvet to live.

PS: To be fair to the vet, she did say the best is for Velvet to live in a good permanent home. She looked very sad as well when she mentioned euthanising as a very last humane resort if I really have to put Velvet back onto the streets (because of his extremely unfavourable condition). She told me he will suffer more if he gets a relapse. I guess as a vet, she has to be very professional and clinical about the case, not emotional.

1 comment:

jennifer_yq said...

how abt asking vegancat if he can help you? not sure if he will be able to help but u can email him to ask him..i think his connection with pet lovers is bigger.