Thursday, April 27, 2006

Farewell...

In case you're wondering - I've come to terms with the fact that Velvet has left for a better place than where I am. My heartfelt thanks to all wonderful friends and readers who have showered me with words of comfort during those difficult times.

I re-read a book I've read once during the grieving period. I've seen the movie too - "My Dog Skip" (based on a true story). The author is Willie Morris. The ending of the book goes like this:

"A month later there was a transatlantic call for me at Oxford University. I went to the front lodge of my college to take it. "Skip died," Daddy said. He and my mum had wrapped him in my baseball jacket and put him in the ground, close to the grave of the little kitten.

I wandered alone among the landmarks of the gray medieval town. A dozen of chimes were ringing among the ancient spires and cupolas and quandrangles, all this so far in miles and in spirit from the small place he and I had once dwelled. Walking alone in the rain, I remembered our days together on this earth. The dog of your boyhood teaches you a great deal about friendship, and love, and death. Old Skip was my brother.

They had buried him under our elm tree, they said - yet this was not totally true. For he really lay buried in my heart."

Just like Velvet. He lay buried in my heart. His chapter in my lifestory has come to an end. Now, I look forward to new chapters and helping more furry friends.

3 comments:

Singapore Community Cat said...

This has been made into a movie My Dog, Skip

cat_aunty said...

Yes Celeste, the other kitties need you.

cat_aunty said...

This Morris guy has another book My Cat Spit McGee. It is good. Read it.